Deus ghost signals

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/
Bill buttons
Flag: Great Britain

Deus ghost signals

Postby Bill buttons » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi have had my Deus for a while now generally pleased but have encountered a strange occurrence on a number of occasions . The target can be seen at the base of the hole partly covered by powdery soil but the signal that was perfect before digging , has gone. This has happened many times.... when the target is out of the hole the signal returns and can be picked up further away than the hole depth.... any ideas?

Gary
Site Admin

Re: Deus ghost signals

Postby Gary » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:27 pm

This is very common with a lot of machines, I guess it could be something to do with the ground disturbance confusing the filters.

Joe Dirt
Flag: United States of America

Postby Joe Dirt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 am

And it can only happen during the six months before or the six months after Holloween.

muddyboots

Postby muddyboots » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Spooky :lol:

Bill buttons

Postby Bill buttons » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Ground disturbance confusing the filters? Please explain further as i have no idea what that means thanks

Charles Abbeyville

Postby Charles Abbeyville » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm

This is one of those annoying enigmatic gremlins that I have also experienced (I think we all have) with every machine I ever owned.

Why, when I dig a clod of soil out of the ground does the signal go from great to feint or even zero? It is illogical isn't it, the target is clearly nearer the coil now it is out. Kick the soil about and it usually reappears like a drowning man reaching the surface! Why, how does that happen.... you know what...I don't want to know, it's too much, I know it will be brain overload :lol:

MrBeasley

Postby MrBeasley » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Orientation of the target changes the power of the signal. I have had excellent signals on the surface, dug the plug and nothing. Sift around in the spoil or get a bit more dirt out the hole and it's back. Makes you wonder how much we walk over and don't hear anything because it's laying at a bad angle for the coil.

I have spent ages looking for tiny fragments that have disappeared when the earth is disturbed and the fragment as changed position. Eventually I find it. That could have been a cut quarter.

I am not talking about one off beeps, but if you have a 2 way repeatable signal then there is something there, the machine isn't lying, it can't. But movement of the target can wipe out the signal. You just have to trust that first indication. Pinpointers are invaluable in this situation as they can often sniff through the dirt and get a reaction when the coil no longer can. Go slow with the pinpointer. It's there somewhere.

Return to “The Official XP Blog”