Tutorial suggestion (V4)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oFGqbZvm1x
Charles Abbeyville
Flag: Great Britain

Tutorial suggestion (V4)

Postby Charles Abbeyville » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:46 pm

These vids/tutorials are really excellent but here's a Deus tutorial I would love to see...

We walk onto a fairly clean/unmineralised roman site. We expect the normal roman bronzes because that's mainly what always comes off.

The Deus menu & sub-menus adds up to a huge mass of choices which can 'drown' the beginner. The uninformed (me) may choose P4 factory preset but would that be good practice, would we get the best out of the field on the day just selecting that? I do make some small changes to P4 but I know there is still more I could do.

What would be good practice? Let's say we are using the new 11inch black coil. Probably no need to ground balance, or is there? Probably good idea to use 12kh but now what about all those other options, disc, reactivity, audio response, iron level, tone and the sub menus that take us even further to 'the outer limits'?

What would be good practice before we start off across the field?

Charles Abbeyville

Re: Tutorial suggestion (V4)

Postby Charles Abbeyville » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I meant to say P2 not P4! :?

Joe Dirt
Flag: United States of America

Postby Joe Dirt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Do it the same way you chose the field to hunt. Either by word of mouth or by research or by trying it to see if it works better. Take the time to experiment on each target and see if a change of setting results in a better signal or ID number. Since soils, hearing acuity, personal preferences, and hunting styles differ with the individual, after a certain point you can only determine the answer to most of your questions by yourself. You can't expect the answers to 500+ possible setting combinations to be answered here. You CAN expect helpful generalities and good wishes here though. :D

HH and good luck to you.

Charles Abbeyville

Postby Charles Abbeyville » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Joe

Yes I understand what you are saying. I sound like a beginner but I have been detecting for 35+ years and had some great finds on Lincolnshire farmland. I swore by the Minelab for most of that time but this new Deus has won me over, never thought I would divorce from that old machine but, technology moves on doesn't it.
There's a plethora of permutations in the menu and there just might have been a standard sort of... 'flow chart' ... some hopes eh, life's never that easy.
We know the soil and what's likely to come of the field if we have detected it regularly so with the new machine I will just have to take some targets with me and test the machine's menus on the site.
On one of Gary's vids he had a deep bucket of soil in his garden to do some tests, now there's a great idea, got a difficult site, take some soil home and experiment, seems like a great idea.

Gary
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:06 pm

I would use Deus fast in the first instance, Roman sites tend to be quite busy if you are on the right spot.
There are no set rules for machine set up, just go with what feels right on the day.
My only piece of advice I would give is don't be tempted to lower the ground balance too much or it will punish you. This is a mistake many novices and seasoned detectorists make with the Deus.

Joe Dirt
Flag: United States of America

Postby Joe Dirt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 pm

I too was a little overwhelmed by the adjustments on the Deus but after a few hunts I began to realize that, compared to my other machines, there really aren't that many. But I also came to realize that small adjustments on the Deus can often result in a big change in results, more so than on most other machines. It almost seems that when you make a change the Deus "sees" what you're trying to do and automatically makes other compatible changes itself that you don't see. Sometimes I'd swear there's a tiny little French guy in there turning valves and pulling levers to help you out.

(I could be wrong about the little French guy). ;)

Charles Abbeyville

Postby Charles Abbeyville » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Cheers Gary, I reckon I have got the idea now, all I want is for the farmers to clean their fields up and I'm good to go.

Return to “Gary's XP video tutorials”